Here are several examples to consider:
- Alcoholics hang out with alcoholics
- Drug addicts befriend other drug addicts
- Criminals enjoy each others company
- Marxists work together to advance their Marxist ideology
- Athletes associate with other athletes
- Teachers hang with other teachers
- Musicians play and work with other musicians
What's the point?
Humans pursue their own self-interests, and as a result tend to gather with and associate with other people with similar interests which might be positive or negative depending upon their goals and whether or not they intentionally hurt and destroy other people in the process of attaining their goals.
This is why it is imperative that people learn how to establish effective personal boundaries. For example, if I want to become a professional golfer, I cannot also hang out with drug addicts and alcoholics. To do so would result in me becoming a substance abuser which would ruin my ability to play golf and destroy my dream of becoming a professional golfer. And this reasoning applies to every goal and objective that you are attempting to achieve.
Young people are particularly vulnerable to "peer pressure" which is why my wife and I monitor our daughters activities, her friendships, her online activity and we keep her busy with art lessons, golf lessons, music lessons and performing in golf tournaments and playing violin with the youth symphony and in recitals.
1. Personal Boundaries - Learn to establish personal boundaries to minimize the negative people and self destructive behaviors
2. Hobbies - become passionate about your hobbies and put forth your best effort into mastering those physical and mental skills required to become proficient.
3. Demand excellence from yourself and from those whom you consider to be your friends.
4. Do not associate with criminals and other people who seek to destroy rather than build or who hate rather than love or act cruelly instead of with kindness.
Remember, it is your life and you get to control who is allowed to become part of your life. Choose well!